An extraordinary collection called “Blu di Genova”, made up of cloths considered to be “jeans’ ancestros”, is kept inside the Museo Diocesano, set up in the Cloister of the Cathedral of “San Lorenzo”.
These are in fact fourteen linen cloths, dyed with indigo and painted with white lead, which tell the various stages of the Passion of Christ. They were made between 1538 and the end of the 17th century for the Benedictine abbey of “San Nicolò del Boschetto”, in the Polcevera valley, and were commissioned to some Genoese masters, including Teramo Piaggio and his collaborators who drew inspiration from Durer’s engravings and from Raffaello.
These large shaped cloths were perhaps meant to be a sort of small chapel set up during Holy Week to involve the faithful in the mysteries and re-enactment of Jesus’ Calvary. They ended up under private ownership and were purchased by the Ministry of Culture in 2001 and placed at the Diocesan Museum.